Thursday 6 November 2008

Yamnuska, us, etc.

Tim drove out to visit us for a few days 2 weeks ago - we had an amazing, stupendous, stunning, fantastic time!!! Here are a few pics:
Tim taking Ethan out to the healthy goodness of McDonalds (!!)

On the way up the eastern flank of Mt. Yamnuska.
I bought new hiking boots the day before, and stupidly used them for the first time to do some aggressive climbing and scrambling - surely my feet were more broken in than my boots! I was hurting for a few days after.
I'd also like to point out that in the pic above I'm taking the picture from above Tim, and this after I'd been waiting a while. In Tim's own words (don't deny it bro!) "Dave, you're kicking my butt!" Speaking of which...
The eastern slope down from the top ridge of Yamnuska is no slope at all. At the very most it may have 1 or 2 degrees of slope, but no more. From where Tim is looking its probably 300-400 feet straight down.

Mt. Doom in the background, with (I'm not kidding) the cliffs of Ephel Duath on its flank.

Very, very happy brothers.

The view from the top - over that edge, it's just straight down for way too far.

View with an orange...
Mt. Yam in the background - that was a LOT of climbing!
Tim, we had a great time with you. Ethan talks about you a lot and loved having you around!
Miss you all,
David (and the rest of us ;-)

4 comments:

Steven said...

Yamnuska is a great hike! Especially screeing down at the end.

We need to get together again sometime.

Anonymous said...

So glad you two could have that time together -- and aware that your good wife sacrificed your help with those two tyrants you live with to give you that extra time off! Great pictures! Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos!! Miss you both, my brothers! Jen

Valerie Ruth said...

I love these photos! especially "view with an orange"