Tuesday 6 January 2009

On Marriage

Kendra and I loved this poem - its our experience, and yours too, I'll bet!

Spice
Sentimentalists, purists, and some
preachers, advocate marital absolutes -
stability, a clear hierarchy for
decision, a predictable union,
unflawed as a blank page. No wonder
it ends up flat. A truer wedding's
grounded in paradox, answers the pull
of the particular, grapples a score
of rugged issues. Like horned toads
in Eden, incongruities add surprise
to a complacent landscape.
Thank heaven you're romantic and
irascible, I'm opinionated in my
impulsiveness. Thank God we can
lean together in our failing - a rusty
trellis propping a thorned rose.
By Luci Shaw, from her collection "Polishing the Petoskey Stone."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really really like that! And have found it oh so true in my marriage. Love MOM